Pittsylvania County

All businesses located in or operating in Pittsylvania County must have zoning approval for the business location from the Community Development Department’s Zoning Office.

All businesses (except for corporations that are registered with the State Corporation Commission) must register the business name with Pittsylvania County at the Clerk of Circuit Court’s Office.

After zoning approval, all business must apply for a City Business License at the Office of the Commissioner of Revenue.

All businesses dealing with food must have a health permit:


  • Operating a daycare center for children (5 or more) or operating an adult home (4 or more) contact Social Services.
  • Owners of Barbershops and Beauty Salons must have a Shop or Salon License, which can be obtained from the Department of Cosmetology. All stylists must have their State License with them when applying for their city Business License.

Business Licenses

Presently, Pittsylvania County does not require a business license except for the following:

  • Amusement: Contact the office for fees.
  • Bondsman: Required to get prior approval from the Circuit Court Judge. The fee is $50.
  • Dance Hall: Approved and issued by the County Administrator.
  • Solid Waste Vendors: Required to get prior approval through the Board of Supervisors. Fee consists of $50 per vehicle.

Any business locating or planning to do business in one of the towns must check with the town office for any license fees.

Contact Information
New businesses should contact the Commissioner of Revenue’s Office at 434-432-7945 for the proper reporting forms for personal property taxation and code compliance to insure the business location is properly zoned.

Pittsylvania County offers fast track permitting through our “One Stop Permitting Center”. Companies that choose Pittsylvania County as their site location are assigned a specific coordinator to assist in expediting the entire permitting process.

Contractor License Information

Contractors doing work over $1,000 in Virginia are required to hold a Virginia State Contractors License. Contractor’s licenses are obtained from the State Board for Contactors in Richmond, VA. (Contractor License information)

A copy of the operational permit issued by the Pittsylvania County Health Department must be provided to the Pittsylvania County Building Inspections Office by the contractor / owner before a certificate of occupancy can be issued.

Renovations to existing buildings:

All businesses must provide an application and have all renovations reviewed and approved by the Building Inspections Division within Community Development Department.

Pittsylvania County  issues separate permits for building, electric, mechanical, signage and plumbing work to be performed. There are other pertinent forms, such as asbestos remediation, plan review, etc., that may need to accompany your application.

  • Signage must be reviewed and approved by Community Development Department’s Zoning Division.

Form and Applications

Pittsylvania County’s Building Inspections and Zoning Division issues separate permits for building, electrical mechanical, and plumbing work to be performed. There are other pertinent forms, such as asbestos, plan review, etc., that may need to accompany your application.

Forms – Building Inspections:

General Information



Forms – Zoning:




Natural Gas, Water/Wastewater, Broadband, Telecommunications). Danville clients should please visit the Customer Service Office. A security deposit may be required to start service. Utility Rates are available on the City of Danville webpage

Utilities in Pittsylvania County are also provided by

The Pittsylvania County Service Authority (PCSA) provides water and sewer service for all areas of the County outside the City of Danville and outside the incorporated towns of Chatham, Hurt, and Gretna.  To serve its customers, the PCSA has contracts to purchase bulk water from the City of Danville, Henry County Public Service Authority, the Town of Chatham and the Town of Hurt.  PCSA does not currently own or operate water or sewer treatment facilities.

Other utilities are provided by Appalachian Power Company, Mecklenburg Electric Cooperative, and the City of Danville. Please contact our office to learn where your site falls. Davenport Energy provides natural gas and propane service.